Wednesday, March 11, 2009

For everything there is a season

Nick and Kylie

On Saturday, February 21, we had to say goodbye to our dog Nick. Besides being a handsome whippet and champion hugger, he was one of the kindest, gentlest creatures I have ever encountered. From the time he came into my life he was a constant companion who supported me through the toughest times.

When I took him to get our other whippet Kylie he had no clue what was being asked of him. He just thought, "Hey, what's this cute smelly thing that keeps trying to bite me?" Ten years later he had become accustomed to her using him as a pillow, taking his food, being the subject of her grouchiness, and living in the shadow of her "me first" personality. Occasionally he would look at me and snort as if to say, "she's only this way because I allow her to be." As long as he got his hug first he was content.

When introduced to Laura and Stephen, he welcomed them into the family and enjoyed the extra attention they provided. This became even more apparent as he grew sicker, his cancer progressed, and Laura and Stephen helped shoulder the responsibility of taking care of him.

Anyone who knows me knows how I felt about Nick and how much I miss him. Life isn't the same without him. We all miss him, but we know he is at peace now.

I hope to see you again buddy. Until then, have a treat, share some hugs, and know that you are loved and that you'll always live in our hearts.

No comments: